Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Teenage Stride: Lesser Demons

This Emusic-only EP from 80s fetishists My Teenage Stride makes me wonder why imitation is looked down upon in music. Lesser Demons strip-mines the entire decade for influences: The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cure, and especially Joy Division. In fact, their Peter Hook-like bass form a subtle but omnipresent cornerstone to almost all the songs. On "The Loud Confessor" and "Skin Lieutenant" in particular, Jedediah Smith sounds like he could have served as a voice double for Ian Curtis in Anton Corbijn's film about Joy Division, Control. This is not to say that My Teenage Stride lack their own charms. An EP, by nature, displays a narrow range of a band's sound. Lesser Demons is a compelling enough listen that I'm now eager to hear their albums.

No comments: