Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tobias Fröberg: Turn Heads

If there are any mediocre Swedish bands or musicians, I don't want to know about them. In the Sweden of my mind, the streets are crawling with pop geniuses and the wind carries impossibly sweet melodies. One day something will shatter this illusion, but I'm grateful that it won't be Tobias Fröberg. Turn Heads, Fröberg's third album, is yet another example of modest yet impeccable albums flowing out of the country these days. Nothing on this album screams out for critical acclaim or indie cred, but it doesn't need to. It wins over the listener quietly and gradually. I found it unremarkable on first listen, but it has grown on me over the past couple of months. Now I recognize it as one of the strongest, most infectious albums of the year despite its unassuming demeanor.

No comments: