Friday, May 23, 2008

Clinic: Do It!

I never saw what all the fuss was about with Clinic until now. I'm not sure whether this is because Do It! is a superior album to their last couple of releases, or I've arrived to a state of mind that's more amenable to their sound. Regardless, I'm really digging Do It! in ways I hadn't anticipated. I have said before that the problem with most bands is that they shamelessly rip off their influences, but rather that they don't rip off enough of their influences. Clinic can't be accused of this shortcoming. Do It! brings together elements of virtually every sound in rock from the past fifty years. Every time I listen, I hear something new; a bit of Dylan here, some Spector there and lots of other stuff I'm not well-versed enough in the history of music to recognize. Maybe I should now revisit Clinic's previous albums and find out why their fan base is so devoted.

No comments: