Monday, May 5, 2008

Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours

I never been able to understand what the big deal is about originality. It has its virtues, but I'd rather do something unoriginal very well than something original poorly. I mean, why make completely unlistenable music in the name of invention? Even Throbbing Gristle threw down some fierce grooves in their less original moments, which were often their best. Cut Copy have been criticized by snotty music grinches for shamelessly ripping off New Order's Technique-era Balearic sound. Who cares? It's an awesome sound and Cut Copy do it very well. I wish New Order would get back to doing that kind of music, in fact. But since Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook are too busy sniping (to be fair, Hooky is doing most of it) to make awesomely cerebral dance-rock, I'm glad that groups like Cut Copy are there to fill the void.

No comments: