Thursday, May 22, 2008

Xiu Xiu: Women as Lovers

I have been worried about Xiu Xiu for the past few years. Fabulous Muscles instantly made them one of my favorite bands of the current decade. Unfortunately, La ForĂȘt was a big disappointment and I only warmed up to a few songs on The Air Force. I began to suspect Xiu Xiu's best days were behind them, but I never completely gave up hope that they had another masterpiece in them. Women as Lovers isn't quite that masterpiece, but it renews my waning faith in Xiu Xiu. They seem revitalized by the addition of new members Devin Hoff and Ches Smith. A good chunk of the songs rank among their best, some even approaching the perfection of "I Luv the Valley OH!" from Fabulous Muscles. Xiu Xiu's next one might be the masterpiece I've been waiting for after all.

No comments: